Join me in my adventures as I write romance novels and sew vintage and contemporary fashion.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Vogue 8850

This is the finished dress looking dramatic
against the curtains that hide my pressure
As I continue my stash/slash mission, I decided to tackle Vogue 8850, a 1951 design. Since my last two experiences with Vogue re-issues have been challenging (although they ultimately had happy endings), I decided that this time I would make a muslin. And not a slap dash muslin like the one that got me into trouble with Vogue 1136.

In the fabric stash I found some rather strange midnight blue rayon that I'd bought to make my 1940s Sew for Victory outfit last spring. I ended up making a linen suit, so the rayon was taking up space.

When I say that the rayon is strange, I mean that although it drapes well, it has a cheap-suit shine to it and seems to be more of a costume fabric than a wearing fabric. I also found out that it scalds easily and that super glue melts it. (Don't ask.)  
Apparently the third time is a charm for Vogue re-issues, or maybe I've just gotten wiser, because this dress went together easily.The top was a lot of fun. It required chalk lines and basting and actually paying close attention to the directions instead of glancing quickly at the pictures before making command decisions.
The shoulder drape is made by gathering part of the right front bodice and sewing it to the tab. 

A separate piece of fabric is attached to the left front bodice to make the lower bodice drape.

I adjusted for sloping shoulders and a high waist before sewing things together for a change, and the bodice fit well. Since this is technically a muslin, I did something I rarely do and pinked the edges instead of finishing them.

The drape is the reason I made this dress. I mean, who doesn't love a drape? It's a large semi-circle of fabric, gathered and attached at the waist so that it appears to be one with the shoulder drape.
I hung the dress for a couple days before hemming, just in case the drape stretched. Guess what? It stretched.

I hand rolled the hem of the drape for practice. I've always meant to learn to hand roll a hem, but never actually tackled the job until now. It came out well and I'd do it again, but I might wait until I have a football game or something to watch on TV.

And here I am in the dress. If I make it again (after reducing the stash, of course) I think I'll make it in charmeuse, just to add to the fun. I think the fluidity of charmeuse in this design would be stunning.
All in all, this was a good experience and now I know how to tackle the fit problems I've had with Vogue re-issues. 

In a side note, I've now reduced my stash by 10 yards of fabric! Next up...a sun dress.

1 comment:

  1. I recently purchased this Vogue pattern and was hesitant because even though I am experienced, something about that bodice intimidated me. I was hoping someone had shared their experience with this pattern and I found your article :) Your dress turned out lovely! I am inspired to tackle this now!