To be honest, when I started this project, I wasn't certain what I'd end up with. I'd ordered the fabric online and when it came, I loved it, but wasn't certain what to make with it. Then it dawned on me that 1940s coats were often made with large odd colored plaids. Perfect, because I had a large oddly-colored plaid. And...I have a pink fedora-type hat that matches the fabric.
I did my best to match the collar to the plaid in the back. One thing about pad stitching--the collar rolls beautifully. It's truly a well-tamed collar.
The pattern called for welt pockets, but this wool was totally unsuitable for welts. I'm sure there are people out there who could have welted these pockets, but after all that pad stitching and plaid matching, I decided to put in patch pockets. It would have killed me to watch my coat unravel before my eyes.
I started to sew the first pocket on by machine with top-stitching thread and got about two inches into my seam when I realized that it looked sucky. My tailoring book had instructions for applying patch pockets by hand, so that's what I did.
After that you sew the edge to the coat, so you have double seam. It makes for a very nice looking and nearly invisible pocket. I wasn't going for invisible, but I like it.
As you can see, I'm a sucker for big buttons.
After making the buttonholes by machine, I decided that they didn't look finished enough, so I bound them by hand using regular sewing thread rather than button twist.